112: Transmission & Driveline
Not exactly to plan because I wanted to finish doing my alternator unit task sheet but me and a few others started on transmissions this week. Basically over Christmas a few of the old cars got scrapped and one of them was a stripped out 205 diesel that was very minimal in the bay and designed for students to learn how to remove gearboxes. With that car gone one of the current workshop cars has to be sacrificed, and with the KA being in an absolute state and not starting it seemed like the obvious choice.
As you can tell we spent a lesson beforehand stripping out stuff from the bay to make it like the previous 205 gearbox demo car. We then got to work on prepping the overhang so it was ready for later.
Hubs coming off to start access to the drive shafts…
Calipers away, track rod end removed, lower ball joint dislodged, lower suspension strut to hub bolt next…
Working on the other side, the wing just randomly popped off 😀
Being on the four post drive on you got some stuff in the way which is not ideal for gearbox removal, hence why we went over to axle stands for the front end so the support bars could be run over to the right side and hopefully we can drop the box through this gap.
Both drive shafts out (pretty much). As usual the half shaft came on the short side but bearings stayed exactly where they are supposed to be so that’s fine. All of this I plan to degrease then re-grease upon refit for peace of mind.
Something that I made a mistake on was the transmission fluid. I could not see a drain point on this box casing and when the longer drive shaft came out so did the oil ! Luckily it just trickled out as shown in this lovely action shot I did before grabbing the collector pan.
Next was the selector rod going into the bottom of the box, this had to come off…
Me and Ariel unbolt these and I tried to pull the selector back and out but it would not come out all the way. Ariel pulls it and it came out first time !? It was utterly confusing but never mind. Also we got the rear gearbox stabilizer off here, then tied these both up to the exhaust down pipe so they were out of the way.
For safety sake it seemed like a good time to bring the transmission support jack because we were moving onto the engine mounts.
This is the front gearbox mount unbolted as you can see the separation gap.
The last mount to come off is this rear one, and the quickest way of doing this one is just to run off the middle T55 torx.
As it stands we have also taken off all the bolts mating the gearbox to the engine apart from the top 2 bolts so it is still attached (just). Our lesson ended and sadly I gotta wait now until next Monday morning to crack on with this… just when it was about to come off haha typical eh. So it’s just the 2 top bolts and we can drop this box down gently on the trans jack (well that is the plan) and then I think we will be removing the clutch also. I will report on this job with a part 2 post next week along with whatever else we have to do.